Transportation and on site storage
RHEINZINK must be transported and stored in dry ventilated conditions. When being stored on site please avoid laying wet tarpaulins or plastic sheeting over the material as this can cause the material to sweat and stain.
- Please observe the following when using our material
- Keep the material dry and always ventilate if covered
- Store on raised pallets on a dry floor - avoid standing in puddles
- Transport undercover on dry pallets
- Avoid coils touching each other as this can lead to chaffing and damage to the surface
- When storing allow the material to become acclimatised to the conditions including temperature and humidity
Handling and fingerprints
When handling our material at all stages please ensure gloves are always worn. This will avoid sweat and finger marks getting on the surface of the material and these will cause surface blemishes if not removed immediately
If the coils are film protected please ensure this is removed once the panels are installed. Please avoid partially removing the film as this could lead to moisture getting trapped and the patina forming unevenly on the surface. Do not apply additional film when fabricating in a work shop as this could also trap moisture and affect the surface of the material
RHEINZINK must be kept in a dry, well ventilated storage space to ensure that the coils do not become wet and develop white rust on the surface. This applies to both warehouse and on site storage.
If moisture does penetrate into the coils it is very difficult to dry them. Condensation, high humidity and dew can also affect the material. KEEP IT DRY
Cold weather forming
When working with zinc, the material will become brittle at temperature below 10◦C. This can affect the bending and forming of the material and can lead to surface fractures and cracking. Always warm the material with a hot airgun when working with it in cold conditions.
Bending and forming zinc
When using our material for fabrication or on site crafting please be aware of the working radii we require
- PATINA LINE: Ri ≥ metal thickness multiplied by 1.75
- PROTECT LINE / COLOR LINE: Ri ≥ metal thickness multiplied by 1.75 (with 1.75mm being the minimum radius to bend to if the calculation is below this value)
External influences can affect the performance of zinc
Metals that can be used with zinc
- Aluminium bright rolled or coated
- Patinated Lead
- Stainless steel
- Galvanised steel (Treat cut edges with a galvanised paint to prevent rust staining)
- Felt roofing without protection (Chippings or mineral coating prevent acid corrosion)
- PVC membranes: check that the membrane you are considering is compatible with zinc
Materials that can affect the performance of Rheinzink
- Mineral based materials such as cement, plaster and lime can have a corrosive effect on metals
- Always isolate the zinc covering from the above materials when installing them on site
- Installation sequences should be maintained to prevent staining to the zinc façade i.e. render before zinc installed if possible.
- Brick and concrete acid will affect the surface of the material and badly stain it.
Heating System - gas and oil fired boilers
- Discolouration may occur to the surface of the zinc from deposits created during the combustion process of these fuels. This will not affect the performance of the material but may look unsightly
Keeping your façade clean at ground level
- Avoid taking the zinc to ground level at an access point to a building, as salt protection spread in the winter (Rock salt) will have a corrosive effect on the material
- Do not spread rock salt on scaffold boards as this will stain the zinc façade
Please see our comprehensive cleaning data sheet which will identify the correct process for you to follow, when cleaning your Rheinzink façade or roof.
Staining and marks on the façade and roof can occur during the installation process e.g. residue from dust, render / mortar, finger marks and bird guano can mark the material. These contaminates should be removed immediately to prevent staining. If not we would recommend the use of our cleaning solution Sweeper which can be applied once the area in question has been lightly washed.